Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Plenty of Cherry Tomatoes


With foggy mornings and sunny afternoons being the norm, my cherry tomato plants are producing like crazy. Every day there are more dots of color among the branches, just waiting to be picked. The most prolific has been the sun gold type, but I'm also getting red ones and yellow ones and orange ones. Yesterday I had enough to give a heaping basket to the firemen at the fire station, another basket for Grandma L and plenty for our dinner salad.

Usually I don't post salads or soups because in my world those are not really recipes. I throw in whatever I have on hand in the amounts that look right, usually directly from the cutting board to the bowl or pot, so there are rarely measurements taken.


Last night's dinner salad was a perfect example. First into the bowl was a small head of romaine lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces. Next in were chunks of green patty pan squash, red and yellow small cherry tomatoes, cut in half, followed by some avocado chunks and a sprinkle of raisins. The amounts were, roughly, 1/3 cup of the squash, 1 cup of the tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, and 3 tablespoons raisins. It was a great mixture, mostly crunchy but with the occasional bit of soft avocado and almost soft raisin.

When you have plenty of cherry tomatoes, what do you make?

3 comments :

  1. Lots of cherry tomatoes = roasting them in the oven and eating them hot, with hunks of mozzerella cheese and dashes of hot sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, That sounds amazing! Have to try them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful! I love them still warm in the salad as well.
    Envious of your green thumb, wish I had more talent in that department, it's a wonderful bounty

    ReplyDelete