Sunday, November 03, 2013

Thankful


The Canadians are smart. They celebrate Thanksgiving when there is a true overflowing of bounty from the fields, with the season finally bringing all the remaining fruits and veggies to their peak ripeness. In the U.S.A. we don't celebrate this year until late November. I suspect that everything in my garden will be done before that, the plants pulled up and the mulch laid down, with just a few winter flowers keeping things cheerful as we head into the Christmas season.

I'm feeling thankful now, so why wait? I'm thankful for the gift of health, perhaps one of the most important ones to have. This has not been the best year in that regard, but at the moment all systems are go, I'm adding weight, gradually, at the gym when I work out, my body weight is slowly dropping and  by a number of other measures my health is good.

I'm grateful for time with my daughter and for being able to get together more frequently. She always amazes me with her creativity,



wonderful sense of humor, and ability to seize the day and have a good time, even when life is not easy and it would be easier to veg out or be dour. She doesn't even seem to know that she has a superior business sense, but it is evident when I listen to her talk about her work and the business systems and strategies. Once she becomes more experienced with her current field, it will be fun to watch her progress. We have a good time when we are together, so I'm glad that it is more than a few times a year.

Perhaps it is silly, but I'm really, really thankful that our latest project is winding up. The results are lovely and it looks like the house always had this entry.


Pi thinks that the sunny part of the deck by the front door was created just for him so that he could survey his domain. I know that the tiled floor will hold up well in the coming wet weather, with all those muddy boots and paws coming through. Learned a lot, too, but it's time to move on into late fall and all the celebrations that it holds. I'm also extremely grateful for Sweetie, his patience with me, his skill with tools, his extraordinary work ethic, and for all of the time and love he gives me. There are not enough words to express my gratitude for having him in my life.

This is only a few of the things that I am grateful for, but it is a start. What are you thankful for?

1 comment :

  1. A horn of plenty, nothing better to represent what we have to be grateful for. We don't have this tradition in the Netherlands maybe we should. Very sobering and heartwarming to realise there is so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete