Saturday, June 13, 2015

Repetition Can Be Good At Dinnertime


After I had been blogging a while, but still a long time ago, I decided that one use of this blog was as a digital recipe file and that I would avoid putting up recipes that I had made before. Now that I've been blogging well over eight years, and because I have not been very good at keeping the index up, now and then I do repeat a recipe that I love and cook over and over again.

One of these is the recipe for a creamy and easy to make cole slaw dressing, especially at this time of year since cold salads of all kinds are a staple. Toss it with some finely chopped cabbage and shredded or grated carrots and you have a fine dish to take to a pot luck, put over pulled pork, or enjoy with almost any grilled poultry or meat. The link to that recipe is HERE.

Speaking of salads, I don't really blog about those because I don't consider salads to be recipes. The amounts of ingredients I use vary depending on what is in the garden and in the crisper...and my mood. Because of my restricted diet we almost always start with either Romaine or iceberg lettuce, or both. After that I toss in carrots, snow peas, cucumbers, red pepper, squash, celery, hard cooked egg, cooked chicken, tuna, left over cooked beef, left over salmon, various nuts, flax seed, various cheeses, croutons, bacon, tomato, avocado, beans...in any number of combinations. Dressings vary, too. Rarely I'll add leftover broccoli or peas or corn. The best salad is fresh from the garden tomatoes, sliced, then sprinkled with a little balsamic vinegar and a little good olive oil, with a grind of pepper over it all being the finishing touch. Anyway, if you would like a salad recipe posted when I make them, let me know.



A recipe that I almost never think about, but then get a sudden yen for is the one which combines beef, mushrooms, onions and stout. I first made it with Guinness, but there are lots of new stouts in the market, so I vary which one I use now. This last time I made it, last week,  I skipped the pastry topping and it was still delicious, especially since I served it over mashed potatoes and the leftovers over noodles. The recipe is HERE. The photos from the last time are at the top and below. Seeing the photo makes me want to cook it again. By the way, it's one of those recipes where it helps to make it the day before you eat it and let the flavors mellow in the fridge, but then the leftovers get better and better, too, each day that passes, for about 4-5 days.


Do you have a recipe you turn to over and over? If it's from this blog, let me know which one and I'll post it again. That is the one thing I do wish might happen now and again...folks letting me know if they have tried one of the recipes and how it turned out. That's what the comments section is for, in part, although I do love comments from y'all about the post...or yourself.

XO, Elle

2 comments :

  1. Repetition is good anytime and repetition of favorites is a must.
    I think maybe you and I cook a lot a like Pat and so while I can't say I've cooked a specific recipe of yours, I've cooked many dishes that come close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the many things I like about you Tanna...you also take a recipe and make it yours with little changes here and there. Happy that sometimes you may start with something from here.

    ReplyDelete