Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Cranberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake with #theCakeSliceBakers


Christmas is coming...it's only a little over a month away...and you may want to create some food memories of your own with my choice of this month's Cake Slice Bakers choices. What could be more seasonal than fresh cranberries? They are often on sale for Thanksgiving and on and off up to Christmas. They also freeze well and you can bake with them using frozen berries, so unless you hate cranberries, it's good to stock up on a bag or two or three.

This lovely loaf cake is a nice, buttery, rich pound cake with the added benefit of the bright color and burst of flavor of the cranberries, plus the tang of sour cream. Since mine had to be mostly dairy free (I can have yogurt for some reason, but not sour cream), I used non-dairy margarine and plain yogurt instead of butter and sour cream, and it was still rich and wonderful.

The crumb is slightly less tight than classic pound cake, but still slices nicely and holds together well. I made it at the beginning of the month and sliced it into long fingers to serve at a gathering where they were looking for something to go with mid-morning coffee and tea. Because the cranberries keep it from being too sweet, it was a hit. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the cake cut into fingers, but I bet you know how to do that anyway. The photo I did take was taken when the cake was recently out of the oven, so the slice is a bit streaky with the cranberry juices, but it was better to slice when it cooled completely.



Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through.  This year it is The Perfect Cake from America's Test Kitchen #atkcake.  We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our FacebookInstagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the thumbnail pictures below to take you to each of our cakes, or visit our blog where the links are updated each month. If you are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.

Next month will be the last bake from our current book, The Perfect Cake from America's Test Kitchen #atkcake. Each recipe has been well thought out and has worked perfectly for me, so do consider purchasing this book yourself. It will have the recipe for this lovely pound cake and for many other delightful cakes. Maybe Santa will give it to you for Christmas? BTW, I receive no benefits from ATK for suggesting this. I just think it is a great cake book.


7 comments :

  1. Oh, yesss... Tossed in a couple of bags of cranberry for Thanksgiving, only to discover that's on someone else's list (this is what happens when you're not hosting for the first time in six years; I was on autopilot and bought EVERYTHING). Now I have an excuse to make this cake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE THE LOAF INSTEAD OF MINI'S! LOOKS DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hoard cranberries while they are available. I almost ran out this year before they finally appeared in the stores They freeze so well! P.S. Wasn't this cake delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great - nice and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks like one delicious loaf. I always grab at least a couple of extra bags as I love to be able to use cranberries throughout the year too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful cake! This was my second choice this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments. Have been away and then super busy, but I do appreciate your kind words. This was such a great cake!

    ReplyDelete