Friday, November 11, 2011

Fall Fun


Just back from a visit to Seattle. We were lucky (or perhaps brought California sunshine with us?) because all the rain that had been called for as I packed never happened. It was great fall weather with a nice chill to it. That's probably why the fall color was fantastic!

One of the places I visited was the U Dub (as it is known around here) Arboretum where there were lots and lots of fully colorful trees of all sorts. Bliss for me since our fall color is more muted.



We also made sure to check in at Trophy Cupcakes so that we could try the current seasonal one...Candied Yam with a Toasted Marshmallow topping. It was sort of like a good carrot cake but with yam flavor. We also shared a Mocha Chocolate one that was amazing. They really know how to do butter cream frosting at Trophy. They are shown in the photo at the top, surrounded by the leaves we collected on the walk near there. We used to collect fall leaves when the kids were young and iron them between sheets of waxed paper, then hang them up in the windows on cords to let the sun shine through.

All of this indulgence had been preceded by two good sized walks, not counting the walk at the Arboretum the day before. One of the things I love about Seattle is that is seems like a really walkable city to me.

I'm going to be making a dish (or my version of it at least) that we tried at a restaurant in Wallingford area called Smash. I'll post it in the next day or two. It involves two of my favorite flavors: butternut squash and spinach.

XO Elle

2 comments :

  1. Lovely photos! Looking forward to the squash & spinach - two of my favorites also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have a bag of freshly washed and picked over spinach in the fridge and two fat butternut, I am very much "do tell!" about this next recipe.

    Good grief, even your cupcakes are picturesque. And Seattle is a very walkable city; my friend Laurie just had to move away, and was sad to leave because she's gotten by mostly without her car for five years. Which was helpful, what with the cupcake shops and Fran's chocolates and such...

    ReplyDelete