Saturday, March 17, 2007

Eating of the Green


March 17th. It's a proud day for the Irish is it not? Since I'm half Irish, I get to really enjoy St. Patrick's Day. Corned beef and cabbage isn't my idea of the perfect food for the day. I go with the venerable potato. In this case, it's red potato with a little chopped parsley for the mandatory green. But the real eating of the green today is the asparagus. This is the perfect green food for the St. Pat's Day: Green or Irish event hosted by Kochtopf



Now I'm not going to tell you that the asparagus is native to Ireland, although for all I know it is. What I am going to tell you is a great way to prepare this quintessential spring vegetable.




Wash the spears well, then snap off the woody end. Alternately, you can peel the woody ends back to where the stem becomes tender. This will give you a bit more spear, but it's a lot more work. The snapped ends could be used, if you are so inclined, to make a asparagus broth as a base for soup. I'm afraid that I just toss mine into the compost pile.

Next give the spears a light drizzle with olive oil. I use a Meyer lemon infused olive oil, but I used to use regular EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and some garlic salt before I discovered the lemon infused stuff, so I know that will work beautifully.




Get your grill going. We now use a gas grill, but used to grill with charcoal. Thses lovely green spears cook up very quickly, so keep an eye on them. Grill them until just tender, turning once to bring the less cooked side down to the grill.

These can be enjoyed hot off the grill, or as part of a cold plate afte they ahve cooled off. They are great both ways, and, if not overcooked, are a beautiful St. Patrick's Day green.






9 comments :

  1. Ohhh how I love roasted and grilled asparagus! It brings out the nutty flavor so much better than steaming or *gasp* boiling.

    What a perfect St. Paddy's day post.. so much better than a recipe for green beer. teee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to say that's a beautiful Irish Green! and beautiful asparagus!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:01 AM

    I love asparagus, what a great idea to grill them.

    Thank you for joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lis, i'm with you on the ick factor of both boiling asparagus and green beer. asparagus are really a great food if not overcooked.

    tanna, thank you!

    zorra, great theme. glad i could participate. my sweetie had his birthday on st pat's day and my daughter came home, so it was a busy time. asparagus saved the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:51 AM

    I have never considered grilling asparagus. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those asparagus look wonderful, so green!

    ReplyDelete
  7. kristen, give it a try...it's easy.

    patricia, thanks for stopping by. glad you liked the green. me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Hi, saying hello from the St.Paddy's round-up! We are in sync! I had my greens too, during St. PAddy's day :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. tigerfish, great to share the green with you!

    ReplyDelete