Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Out On the Porch in the Morning

When Sweetie said that dry rot had done it's thing to our front porch and that he would have to take the porch apart and build it again, I had no idea that it would be a good thing.

The old porch had three steps up to a landing and then three more steps up to the right to the front door, or a single step up to a platform where you stepped up into the sunspace at the side of the house. In the planning process for making the replacement, I asked if we could change things a bit. Sweetie was willing, so we now have the same three steps from the sidewalk to a landing, but now you step up one step to an expanded deck, then into the sunspace, or up the three step to the right and to the front door. The expanded deck goes beyond the side of the house a couple of feet and now has a railing around it, too.

Why am I blogging about this? Well, the unexpected thing is that we now have a front of the house eating area on the new expanded deck and we are eating there almost daily now that the weather has warmed up. This is especially nice for breakfast because the deck faces east. It has become routine to fix up our coffee, bowls of mixed melon and other fruits, yogurt for Sweetie and oatmeal with golden raisins and milk for me. We sit in the sun (I wear a sunhat) and eat, sip, and read the morning paper. Bliss.

Sweetie's Fruit Bowl
Sweetie keeps this seasonal but he likes melon, so there is usually some.
1/2 watermelon, cubed in bite sized pieces
1/2 ripe cantaloupe, cubed in bite sized pieces
1/2 honeydew melon, cubed in bite sized pieces
1 basket strawberries, in season, washed, hulled and sliced
Mix these fruits in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill.
To serve, fill a cereal bowl 2/3 full of the fruit mixture for each person. Add more fruit...whatever is in season.
At this time of year it is often blackberries, blueberries, or peaches or nectarines. We often add a bannana, sliced, on top, divided between two bowls.
This is good topped with plain or vanilla yogurt and some nuts or a handful of granola.
The fruit mixture should be enough to serve 4-6 people depending on the size of the cereal bowl.

12 comments :

  1. I don't mind reading about day to day dealings, love it! Wish porches were in vogue here in the Netherlands, whenever I see pictures or read a story like yours I feel a bit envious!
    Have fun on your new deck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky woman, what a perfect way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! What a wonderful way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. breakfast on the porch sounds like a little bit of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to sit on the porch in the evening, it is our wind down time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this kind of breakfast...it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, It's a new experience for me to have this deck...glad you enjoy this kind of post.

    Inne, It is a great way to begin.

    Cynthia, Yeah!

    Deborah, Wish you could join me.

    Connie, it is heaven when there isn't the usual summer fog :)

    Sandi, Evening sounds good, too.

    Claire, yes, simple and fairly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your porch sounds heavenly. I love eating outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. elle: I admire at your lovely and colorful fruit salad but those berries are so adorable. I wish I can get my hands on thoe berries and strawberries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything happens for a reason right?! Hope you're having a lovely weekend Elle and particularly on your new deck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice space! Luscious fruit! Smart idea to change that deck! Mine is getting a lot more use too!

    ReplyDelete