Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Spring When It Sizzles

Unseasonable heat wave hit today and is supposed to continue for the next few days. The 'normal' temperature for mid-May around here is a high of 75 - 80. Today it was well over 90 degrees during the hottest part of the day, so that qualifys as hot. Tomorrow is slated to be at least a few degrees over 100.
That meant getting out early to water the garden and do a bit of weeding, then lots of time indoors where it was cooler, thanks to our concrete floor which retains the cool from the night before. There is an art show coming up for the watercolor class I attend, so I was matting and framing my piece (we have to choose just one). I was honored to have my piece chosen as one of four from our class on the postcard advertising the show. Careful viewers of this blog have already seen it almost finished in this post. I had to give it a title, so I chose 'Juicy' 'cuz the oranges look pretty juicy to me.

One of the dilemmas when the weather is hot is what to make for dinner. I tossed together a salad of cold leftover grilled chicken chunks, cucumber, avocado, carrots, fresh mandarin orange segments, golden raisins, sliced almonds and blue cheese bits mixed with mesclun salad mix. Sweetie enjoyed his favorite lime dressing and I opted for walnut raspberry since my favorite Organic Raspberry dressing is gone and I don't remember where I bought it. Sucks having an older brain sometimes.

If you have a toaster oven you don't have to heat up the kitchen to prepare a great appetizer for hot weather:

Smoked Salmon and Brie Toasts
serves 2-4

1/2 baguette, sliced in 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices, then lightly toasted in the toaster oven
2-4 oz ripe brie cheese
2 oz. smoked salmon (or more if you really love smoked salmon)
mizuna or herb leaf for garnish

Take the toasted baguette slices and spread about a tablespoon of brie on each slice. Place on a small cookie sheet that will fit in the toaster oven and broil in the toaster oven until brie melts.

Remove from toaster oven and immediately layer on some of the smoked salmon. Garnish with a leaf and serve at once while the cheese is melty.

Remember to share...although these are so good it's easy to eat them all yourself.

10 comments :

  1. Oh yeah these are perfect bites for this heat wave! I love salmon in any way so this could be dinner for us tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great: just when we book a flight home for a few weeks, it decides to get all hot and miserable! Transition shock, coming up for us - it snowed here a month ago.

    Salmon looks tempting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and appetizers. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be hot here too. But silly me made crab and corn chowder...not exactly Summery food. :)
    Yours on the other hand looks perfect for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, ummm, ummm, this is soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:23 AM

    You aren't kidding when you say it's hot around here right now. No energy to cook at all. This looks like a perfect thing to eat for this weather! We have the salmon, I may have to make a run for the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are really stunning! I've nnever thought to try smoked salmon with brie - will give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:28 PM

    perhaps you could send a few of those unseasonably warm degrees our way? After a brutal Chicago winter, we are having a really cold spring. Arg!

    But the sandwiches are delightful. I've been hankering for salmon for a while, although I've never had it paired with brie. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bloggers everywhere are writing about this "heat wave," but where is it? It's still so cold here in Ithaca... it's actually in the 40s right now & raining :(
    but I'll gladly take a few of those brie & salmon toasts any day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:26 PM

    Nice photo, Elle ;)

    ReplyDelete