Friday, November 13, 2009

Intense Chocolate Cookie Revisited

Those round little starry starry night cookies (http://feedingmyenthusiasms.blogspot.com/2009/11/intense-chocolate-in-cookie.html ) were delicious and would look perfect on a cookie assortment platter or with afternoon tea, but all of that scooping and rolling and freezing wasn't going to happen again...and I still had about half the batter left to bake!

My solution was to create a starry night sky bar cookie by laying down parchment on a baking sheet, then doing a generous sprinkle of sugar all over the parchment, then taking super sized scoops of the batter, fresh from the fridge, flattening them a bit with my hands, then laying them down over the sugar in a more-or-less flat layer. I used waxed paper laid on top to allow me to flatten the rectangle even more evenly, although it was still pretty bumpy. The last thing was to sprinkle moooore sugar over the top. All that sugar helps with the starry look.

Into a preheated 350 degree oven it went. As a bar of chilled batter they needed to cook a little longer. I think it was about 15 minutes, but check at 12 minutes.

The house again smelled wonderfully of deep, dark chocolate.

After they had cooled 5 minutes, I cut them into bars. They are still small because these are truly intensely chocolate, but I cut the time taken to make 'em significantly. Sweetie sacrificed to do a taste test and pronounced them as good as the round ones.

So now you have a choice if you make this batter...round ones good enough to sell in the finest bakery, or bars, uneven but still sparkly with sugar and delicious. Y'all know I'm unlikely to have a bakery, so I seriously needed that shortcut. Besides, I have no customers to complain that they are supposed to be round.

1 comment :

  1. Haha I would probably try to make the round ones, and have them end up looking like the bar anyway!

    ReplyDelete