Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Surrounded

Lots of times we have little control over where we work. In December I moved my office in order to create a guest room right off of the living room. It was a lot of work, but worth it because I was able to set the new workspace up how I wanted it (within the confines of it being a much smaller space than the old office.) One of the joys of my new workspace is that I'm surrounded by reminders of people I love and things I like to do. Thought I'd share some of it with you.

A photo of my Mom in a blue sweater sits above my monitor so I can feel her smiling down on me with one eyebrow slightly raised, as if asking me if I'm doing my best.

The answer varies, but is usually 'yes'.

Below and to the right is a photo of my daughter. There is also a handprint in poster paint on construction paper with my daughter's printing below with her name. I think she was 4 when she made it at pre-school. Each letter has a little face drawn in and each face is smiling. She smiled a lot at that age. She recently remarked on how large her hand was for a preschooler. In truth she was always in the top percentile for size, but also for development skills. I think the fairy godmothers were generous with their gifts to her.

Artwork I like comes next. First is a print in card form of an amazing artist, Paula Pearce, who is also a friend. It is just on top of K's handprint. Next is a print that is sort of mystical, and one of apple blossoms in Sonoma County, a time I love.

Hung high is a P.E.O. star to remind me of my sisters of the heart, then comes some photos of my watercolor class instructor Berenice Irkes, doing a demo which remind me that I want to paint more often, plus a gorgeous watercolor landscape she did, and a silly box/purse that held notecards. See the turtle painting that reminds me to workout?



There is more!
A Japanese fan with beautiful colors looks great and can be taken off the wall if it gets hot and used for its other purpose.

Since fall is a favorite season, a card with lots of fall leaves is up there too,
and a postcard with Ralph Waldo Emerson's version of success:

Success

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

Still working on some of that, which is why I also have, pinned to the wall, a Mother Goose stuffed animal from my older brother from when I was being a goose, and a Damnit Doll from a good friend for use when it is all too much.

To the far right I have photos of Max to remind me to enjoy being alive and what fun we had when he was.

Next come a set of wall-hung cloth bags, each a sort of filing cabinet for a project or group...easy to go through and easy to take along.

Do you have a workspace collection that brings you joy, motivation, sadness, inspiration?

3 comments :

  1. Thank You Pat. That is so perfectly you. Special to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:09 PM

    I love your new office! Everything about it. You sure know how to make things special.
    Love, Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanna & Natasha, Thanks! It's fun to share my new space with special people like you.

    ReplyDelete