Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Babes on A Healthy Roll


In some circles these beautiful round muesli rolls would not be considered healthy, but if you think about bread like brioche or cinnamon rolls with all that butter and not much fiber, these muesli rolls, brought to us by our Kitchen of the Month Baking Soda or Bake My Day, are full of goodness like sunflower seeds and dried fruit and whole wheat flour, dried apricots and flax seed. I skipped the sesame seeds since I'm on a diet that says to avoid them, left out the pumpkin seeds because I forgot to buy them, and skipped the chocolate chips since I really don't enjoy bread and chocolate mixed.

I loved these rolls. They were not too sweet, made excellent toast, were good with cheese, but also fine just plain or with a little butter. Mine were on the large side since I only made 10 with the dough provided, but that meant that one roll was just enough to share with Sweetie.


When I toasted them I actually sliced them into 4 slices since they were pretty round, too. Do try these and become a Buddy by sending an e-mail to Baking Soda by June 29th. Include a photo and your experience with them. I found them very easy to make although I left off the rolled oats topping because in my experience that kind of topping just falls off.

Also, be sure to visit the posts of the rest of the Babes crew. This month we welcome two new Babes, Judy of Judy's Gross Eats and Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories. Welcome to our crazy group Judy and Karen. You have been devoted Buddies and it will be great baking with you!



Muesli Rolls 
by Dean Brettschneider - Bread makes 15 rolls

450 gr (2.3/4 cups) strong bread flour
50 gr (1/3 cup) wholemeal or whole wheat flour
40 gr (1/2 cup) jumbo rolled oats
8 gr  (2.3/4 tsp) instant dry yeast
10 gr (2 tsp) salt
30 gr (1.1/2 Tbs) treacle or blackstrap molasses
20 gr (1 Tbs honey
20 ml (4 tsp) olive oil
370 ml (1.1/2 cups) water

40 gr (scant 1/2 cup) walnut pieces (chopped small)
30 gr (3 Tbs) linseeds/flaxseeds
20 gr (2.1/4 Tbs) sesame seeds
80 gr (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds
80 gr (2/3 cup) pumpkin seeds
40 gr (1/4 cup) dried apricuts, cut into pieces
80 gr (1/2 cup) small chocolate chips/drops (optional)

100 gr (1 generous cup) jumbo rolled oats to decorate


Place flours, oats, yeast, salt and wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Using a wooden spoon, combine to form a dough.  Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes, resting it for 1 minute every 2-3 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Check dough throughout kneading for stickiness; add a little more water or flour if necessary to achieve a soft dough that's  not too firm.

Add walnuts, seeds, dried fruit and chocolate(if desired). Knead until well incorporated and combined into dough.  Place dough in  a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap) and leave in a warm place for approximately  1 1/2, until dough has doubled in size. Gently knock back dough in bowl by folding it back onto itself several times. Cover again and leave for a further 30 minutes.

Tip dough upside down onto a lightly floured work surface.  Sprinkle flour over top of dough (which was on the bottom of the bowl).  Very carefully turn dough over and gently flatten to 2cm (3/4 in) thick.  Using a dough scarper or large chef's knife, cut dough into 7cm (2 3/4in) squares.  Using a pastry brush, brush the tops with water, Sprinkle entire surface of each roll with rolled oats, and pat down gently to stick them on.

Line a baking tray (cookie sheet) with baking (parchment) paper.  Place rolls onto lined tray (sheet), leaving a 2-3cm (3/4-11/4in) gap between each roll.  Cover with clingfilm (plastic wrap) and leave to prove for 30-45 minutes, depending on room temperature.

Place rolls on baking tray (cookie sheet) in a preheated 230C/450F/Gas 8 oven, apply steam and quickly close oven door.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning tray around halfway through baking if needed Remove rolls from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.


The Bread Baking Babes are:

11 comments :

  1. Oh, only 10? Nice, big rolls - love it! I really enjoyed these toasted, as well...they made a tasty sandwich bun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bigger ... smaller ... each would have a use and ALL would be eaten. Toasted oh Pat we do think alike, yes these were really wonderful toasted and butter or cheese just brought JOY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that I messed up the linky tool fellow Babes. It didn't look like I was selecting a photo, but apparently I selected something like 10 of them! Tried to cancel it, but that didn't work either. Next month I will do better, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great rolls, I think I'll add apricot pieces too next time, that just looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elle, I had the same problem. The linky tool told me that my photo had failed to be selected. It had already crashed firefox though, so I just gave up. I was very surprised to see that my rottenly cropped photo did in fact appear and the link tool seems to be fine now.

    I am SO envious of the fact that you could slice your rolls into 4 pieces for toasting. I didn't get nearly that amount of loft.

    But the rolls are good, aren't they? (I love that they're not too sweet.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are great toasted arent they? So nice and round your rolls are! Really nice looking buns Elle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ADORE seed-y rolls... and funny, I used to always try pain du chocolat, but I don't like chocolate and bread together as much as I used to, either. Weird. But seeds and dried fruit -- these do look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the nice welcome Pat!! Your rolls look fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toasted, with melted butter.... Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried them toasted yet. I need to do that. Yours look great and love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your rolls look really good Elle. They're really "bursting" with the goodness of the Muesli.

    ReplyDelete