Tuesday, February 13, 2007

How Do I Love Thee?... You Are Prime



Thirteen has a bad rep, but I don't believe in it. Maybe that's because I was born on the 13th, many moons ago in the month of February. Maybe it's because I've always been fascinated with prime numbers, numbers that are not divisible by any other number but 1, and 13 is such a number.

For whatever reason, I like 13. In the photo above there are 13 of my favorite mugs. Some are hand thrown by local potters, one comes from Asia, some are pretty like the one from a museum, some are Dansk mugs that hold just the right amount of coffee for me, one is pure white and great for tea and two others were gifts from Micca and Dawn. The glass and brass one at the front is from the local Hospice thrift store and is perfect for hot drinks like hot buttered rum or Irish Coffee since the glass can be pre-heated and the heat doesn't make it as far as the handles, so it's comfortable to hold while filled with hot drinks.

So tonight we can celebrate the primacy of love, beauty, and friendship in our lives. We can also celebrate my Irish heritage and natal day, and the rich, creamy, lovely oomph of a good mug of Irish Coffee. I'm also going to drink to only one more day to blog in my self-imposed run up to Valentine's day. It's been fun, but I'm running out of ideas.

Irish Coffee

For each cup pour strong brewed coffee in a pre-heated heat-proof glass with handle, filling about 2/3 of the way up. Add sugar to taste. Stir.
Whip heavy cream until it holds some shape.
Pour some Irish Whiskey gently into the coffee. A jigger is usually plenty, but use more or less as you desire.
Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
Drink at once for the best quality.





No comments :

Post a Comment