Thursday, October 16, 2008

Just Short of Two Years

This is the two hundred and fifty-fifth post on this blog. It's been almost two years since the first post (which was October 23rd) and the first posted recipe is just as good today as it was then. When you post something as basic and wonderful as vegetable soup, it has a good long shelf life I guess.

Maybe it seems like I'm rushing the blog birthday a bit (and I DO love birthdays). Since October has proven to be the busiest month in 2008 so far, it's possible that I won't even have time to post next Thursday on the 2nd blog birthday, so I'm repeating the October 23, 2006 recipe for your enjoyment.

Blogging continues to be a super hobby. My skills and exposure to new ideas, foodstuffs, techniques and perspectives continue to grow, I've 'met' wonderful, creative, generous people from all over the globe. Looking back at the earliest posts, I think that my photo skills, and even my writing skills have improved over time.

If you have enjoyed this blog, and have the time and interest to do so, consider making one of the recipes from the last two (almost) years, blogging about it and sending me a link. My e-mail address is in the upper right corner of the blog. If life slows down a bit I may even be able to do a round-up if there are a few willing to play along. Here is your chance to try out a Daring Baker Challenge even if you are not a Daring Baker, to try your hand at tomato tarts, a bacon-lover's salad or apple pie or myriad other offerings. If nothing else, here is a good, healthy, fine tasting soup for your fall lunches or dinners.

This recipe is my variation of Weight Watchers zero point Garden Vegetable Soup. With the changes I've made, it's no longer zero points, although it's still pretty healthy. If you prefer to not use canned stuff, you can make broth and cook white beans ahead of time and use fresh tomatoes. If you have no problem with shortcuts, you can use frozen green beans and pre-chopped garlic, too. It's hard to mess this soup up.

Fall Soup

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2/3 Cup sliced carrots
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 Cups (2 cans) 99% fat free broth (I used chicken, but vegetable and beef work too)
1/4 to 1/2 medium head green cabbage, diced (depends on how much you like cabbage)
3/4 Cup green beans
2 medium tomatoes, diced or 1 can Ready Cut style diced tomatoes and juice
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or twice as much fresh
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or twice as much fresh
1/2 Cup diced zucchini or 1 small summer squash, diced

In a large saucepan heat the olive oil, then saute the carrots and onions over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute or so. Add garlic and saute another minute.

Add about 1/2 cup of broth to the pan and deglaze pan (scrape up the browned bits from the bottom and sides with a wooden spoon), then add rest of broth, cabbage, tomatoes, basil and oregano; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes.

Add one can of cannelli beans or other cooked white bean, including the soft stuff at the bottom of the can. Add the squash and green beans. Stir. Put the lid back on and heat another 5 minutes. Check beans. If too crisp, cook another minute or two. Serve hot.

7 comments :

  1. Beautiful zucchini! Wish I had a bowl of that soup to go with my bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy early blog birthday to you. I don't blame you for wanting to celebrate early!
    Your soup looks good and hearty for a crisp Fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:26 AM

    COngratulations! Blogging is an all consuming hobby for sure.
    But, what better (and healthier) way to celebrate it than with a soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:42 AM

    Happy 2nd Blog Birthday and many many years to come. YOur recipes are great. Kepp on!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to celebrate early! this looks wonderful. I hve been thinking of making my first recipe again on my 2nd blog birthday. Great soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanna, Wish I had some of your bread to go with the soup!

    Thanks Pea! You know I love birthdays :) and Fall!

    Freya, Thanks! Your comment means a lot...you were there toward the beginning, too.

    Thanks Celeste! Hope to keep going. SO many recipes, so little time.

    Deborah, Sometimes it's great to look back to the beginning. The recipes still have legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:57 PM

    A belated happy blog birthday! I'm so glad to have gotten to know you through blogging.

    ReplyDelete