Sunday, November 09, 2008

English Muffins Sort Of

In my ongoing quest for great sourdough recipes I tried taking a regular yeast version of English Muffins and made them with some yeast and some sourdough starter. The results were delicious. They tasted like sourdough English Muffins, and much better than anything we have bought from a store, but I was disappointed with the texture.

Inside they were more like dinner rolls than like the English Muffins that have lots of holes to hold the melted butter.

I also discovered that the directions were not complete. I should have made them much flatter and wider because they puffed up quite a bit and became rather tall, small diameter muffins. The good news is that I have lots of starter and can try again.
I suspect that I'll need to add more liquid, made the discs flatter and wider and maybe even add a little baking soda. When I have a good recipe, I'll post it.

In the meantime, at least you can see some photos of the little darlings.

those are the lumps of dough to be shaped and below are the discs rising before being grilled.


7 comments :

  1. Sure wish I could have enjoyed one of those testers! That top one look English Muffin to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some "english muffins" a while back that were the same way. They tasted GREAT but were more like Parker House rolls (with lots less fat!). Hey, as long as they taste good...though it would be nice to find a good recipe b/c I'm on an English muffin kick lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if they were good, you should experiment with them over and over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, wow, do those LOOK right. Oh, yum. I found a recipe here for "English" muffins, and they're, like, made in a skillet. I'm going to try them, but I'm already somewhat dubious that I can quite figure it all out... these -- oh, these look amazing. Have already had breakfast but am suddenly hungry again... Oh, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow sourdough english muffins. They must of had a wonderful flavour

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, maybe I can talk T. into having these instead of fresh pretzels... we'll see. I've got the sourdough out & warming up already, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made english muffins yesterday, but mine weren't sourdough. Now I need to make them again! Yumm.

    ReplyDelete