Friday, February 20, 2009

Dangerous and Chocolate


As a post-Valentine treat my red-headed friend e-mailed me a very dangerous recipe. It's for a chocolate cake. She is a true chocoholic, so I was immediately interested. The cake is just enough for one person and is made in the microwave. Lookin' good. The ingredients are ones that I usually have on hand. Better and better. It's called the 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake.

So why is it dangerous? Because now you have a recipe (below) for a yummy chocolate cake that you can make anytime, day or night, when you have 5 minutes.

I immediately sent the recipe out to a lot of friends and family on my e-mail list, although I did copy it into a new document and I added that it might be good with some chopped walnuts thrown in.

Then it occured to me that I hadn't made this dangerous cake. Maybe it was terribel and I'd inflicted a bad recipe...not dangerous bad, but yucky bad...on loved ones. So I had to make it :)

This afternoon, after I had worked off some calories gardening...weed pulling and hauling potting soil and pots around can be vigorous exercise, right?...I made up a mug of chocolate cake. I included the chocolate chips, but didn't make any changes, nor did I add nuts. It seemed like a good idea to see how it was as written.

It was good...not great, but good. Best of all, it was warm! Warm chocolate cake with melty chocolate chips is pretty nice stuff. Since I love chocolate and raspberry, I put some raspberry coulis on the plate. It seemed a bit dry, so I added some half and half once I had cut the cake in half. It was a delightful afternoon treat. I might try it again sometime. Next time I would try it with the butter, with the nuts, and with some of the milk replaced with cold coffee. Doesn't that sound good?

So here is your own little dangerous recipe to try. You might even think of your own variations.



From Don Fulton: The most dangerous cake recipe


5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil ..or try real butter...worked very well

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

a small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

You are going to print this out straight away, aren't you?
Bet some chopped walnuts would go well, too. Mmmmm.

5 comments :

  1. I've seen this before by email, and received it again yesterday, but keep avoiding trying it. I think now you see why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Word.
    I think we have found the source of evil. Oh, yum. The coulis looks like a LOOOVELY addition.

    Am thinking of several heavy soil-lifting jobs I can do so I can try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They made this on the talk radio show I listen to...they thought it was dangerous too.It does look good and in only 5 minutes, that could be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try this - it looks so simple and such a fun dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, this looks toooooo good!

    ReplyDelete