Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pretty Tasty Red Cabbage

I was talking with my friend Hil the other day and telling her about this pomegranate juice that I'm cooking with. I told her I might try some fruit soup or a sweet and sour beet salad. We moved on to talk about dinner that night and she mentioned that since she had been working so much that her vegetable options were limited...red cabbage was about it. The light bulb went on for me. Of course, red cabbage, red sweet and sourish pomegranate juice...perfect for braised sweet and sour red cabbage. I used some more of that great POM Wonderful juice.

Before we get to the cabbage, I want to show you a couple of photos I took of the wild Douglas iris in the woods at work. I love this time of year when they arrive and brighten up the areas where they bloom. Often the surrounding landscape is full of old dead grasses and weeds, so these spots of light purplish blue are a delightful contrast and delicately pretty, too.





Tonight I made that wonderful red cabbage dish and it was delicious! We had it with some zucchini and pork chops that Sweetie cooked on the grill. Today was truly a spring time day, so grilling seemed like the way to go.

Braised red cabbage couldn't be simpler and it's quick, too. Since you only use a small amount of olive oil it's also pretty light. Adding the pomegranate juice adds antioxidants, which I've heard are good for you although I still don't really understand about them.

The juice has been proven to be good for cardiovascular health, prostate health, erectile function...whoo-hoo, and helps with diabetes. According to the literature, not all pomegranate juices will provide these benefits.

Do a little research yourself if you are counting on these benefits. One thing I saw was that too much pomegranate juice, combined with cholesterol meds, can actually be dangerous. Well, that was an Internet alert which you can't always believe.

What you can believe is that this is a delicious, pretty, refreshing side dish that goes together quickly and easily.

Elle's Red Cabbage with Pomegranate Juice
Serves 4 -6

1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large head red cabbage, sliced thin, then cut crosswise into roughly 2 inch lengths
8 oz. (1 cup) POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (or more to taste)

In large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium hot heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute' for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent.

Add the cabbage and stir to coat with the onions and garlic.Stir in the pomegranate juice.

Sprinkle the balsamic vinegar and drizzle the honey over the cabbage. Add the pepper. Stir to completely combine.

Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes until the cabbage is tender.

Serve hot.

5 comments :

  1. Pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar and honey . . . somehow I just know those are going to go well together.
    Love the Iris!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, whaqt a brilliant idea...and color for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I would have never thought of using pomegranate juice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Very bland added allspice and it was much better

    ReplyDelete