Monday, May 11, 2020

Cookie 'Fries' Virtual Baking Party


Last Friday I had the pleasure of being part of a virtual baking party with our daughter and Raine in their Southwest kitchen and me in my kitchen here in Northern CA. We used FaceTime on our phones to connect and we each made the dough in advance so that it could chill. That meant that the baking party was really the cutting of the dough and putting the 'fries' onto the baking sheets and the baking. Then I enjoyed a few of the cookies on Sunday when I had a virtual tea party with our daughter to celebrate Mother's Day.

I found the recipe online and it is one from Disney World in Florida. The concept is that the cookies are like French fries, only sweeter and with mini-chocolate chips and they are cookies and not potatoes...so a strange concept, really. You serve them with sweet dipping sauces like chocolate fudge sauce and raspberry or strawberry jam and marshmallow cream. I didn't bother to have those ready since I was just going to eat them plain, but it turns out that the cookie fries themselves are pretty bland and are much tastier with embellishments.  Raine suggested ice cream and after we finished the baking party they had dinner and then used the cookie fries to make a delicious dessert with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and some raspberry jam made by a neighbor.

These cookies are pretty easy to make. You mix the dry ingredients with soft margarine, then add warm water, egg substitute and molasses. Once the dough is mixed you fold in mini chocolate chips. I put my finished dough into a foil-lined 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan which I had sprayed with baking spray. I'm glad I did because otherwise I'm not sure I would have gotten the dough cut into anything like fries. As it was, the dough was too soft even after hours of chilling, and so my fries were more like batons with curved edges. Next time I would cut the water by a tablespoon or two. Also, be sure to sift the dry ingredients, including the powdered sugar. I didn't and I think that was a mistake because I had to beat the ingredients longer to mix, not a good idea for a cookie because it makes them tough. The directions are mine, taking this into consideration. You might want to consider making some of the liquid,maybe 1/4 teaspoon, vanilla extract. 1/4 teaspoon salt added to the dry ingredients would not go amiss, either.

These were a fun project to do with Raine, but I think I'd rather have my classic Toll House chocolate chip cookie next time. Your kids or grandkids will love these, especially if you have lots of dipping sauces!

Disney's Chocolate Chip Cookie 'Fries'

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
7 tablespoons (try 5 or 6) warm water
5 tablespoons egg substitute (more than 1 egg and less than 2 if you are using real eggs, beaten)
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Combine flour and powdered sugar and sift into a stand mixer bowl. Add the softened margarine and mix on medium with paddle, until smooth.

In another bowl combine the warm water, egg substitute and blend. Add the molasses and blend. Add liquid mixture to dough and blend with paddle, until smooth. Run mixer as little as possible. If starting with less water, you can add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed. You want a stiff but not crumbly dough.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Line an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan with foil. Spray with baking spray. Add the dough and press to smooth into an even layer. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone mat or greased foil.

Remove dough from pan and cut into sixteen 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut each strip in half. Dough strips are now 1/2-inch by 4-inches. Place an inch apart on prepared sheets.

Bake 20-22 minutes until crunchy.

Serve with sweet dips.

No comments :

Post a Comment