Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Applesauce Hand Pies


 The Gravenstein apples are ripe! We have a couple of trees and so I made some Gravenstein apple sauce with some of the apples. They are so flavorful that I only added some pie spice to them...no sugar needed...then cooked the sauce down so it was pretty thick. A potato masher worked well to break up the cooked apples into a chunky sauce.

In the morning I had the bright idea to turn some of the applesauce into hand pies. Since I had my trusty ReadyCrust pre-shaped pie dough handy, I unrolled one crust worth of dough and cut the circle in half. Then I stacked the halves, long sides together, and cut the half into thirds. That gave me the dough pieces for three hand pies.

Bottom wedge of dough, two tablespoons of applesauce, leaving a half-inch edge, wet the edges, place the matching wedge of dough on top, press to seal all around, use the tines of a fork to double seal all around, cut a steam slit with a sharp knife, then onto parchment. Repeat with the other two sets of dough.

Before I started to assemble the hand pies I preheated the oven to 450 degrees F. and placed a baking stone on a lower rack in the oven. By the time I had the pies ready to put in the oven, it was ready. I slid the parchment and pies onto the baking stone using a cake transfer wide spatula to move the pies on the parchment. Have just the parchment between the pies and baking stone meant well cooked pastry on the bottom and any juices that escaped stayed on the parchment.  After 10 minutes I turned down the oven to 350 degrees F. and continued to bake the pies until they were browned, about another 6 -10 minutes.

Don't forget to let the pies cool a bit on a rack. The filling gets really hot!

Enjoy as is or drizzle with some confectioners sugar mixed into icing with a bit of hot water, for more sweetness. I like mine less sweet, so just ate them plain. They were outstanding!

No comments :

Post a Comment