Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Lilies of Summer


 

The garden is going well, at least partly because of all the rain we had over many months this spring and early summer. The two Black Krim tomato plants are huge and the first ripe tomatoes have been picked. I used the first one to make bruschetta over the weekend. Didn't take any photos but they were just like the ones HERE. We did have the first of the yellow pear tomatoes today, in our dinner salad...or was that yesterday? It's like that right now.

We are not getting as many zucchini as usual, an unusual problem for zucchini growers. It's actually just enough to have a couple, grilled, every third day or so with whatever Sweetie is putting on the grill for dinner.

Those are the only veg I planted this year. A bit more than last year, but still far behind most years. I'm beginning to think that I need to hire a gardener or else to resign myself to weeds and tall grasses. I just can't get on my knees to weed anymore, so that discourages me from planting a lot, too.

Still, it has been a glorious summer for lilies. The pink 'naked ladies' are blooming by the farmhouse, but I don't have photos yet.

I've had the early earth tone ones



and the pink Orientals mixed in with daisies


and without daisies




plus one purple Oriental



then there have been drifts of gorgeous white Orientals with pink spots




with the most recent blooms being my favorites, the creamy Orientals with peach, apricot and orange markings.



Through much of July and still blooming there are always the day lilies



The roses have been blooming, too, on and off, but they start in the spring. The lilies are truly at their best in July and August, giving me a beautiful reason to appreciate summer.

1 comment :

  1. I have NEVER seen anyone's Asiatic lilies that are florist big like that, and so gorgeous!!! WOW.

    ReplyDelete