Saturday, September 26, 2026

Grandad's Applesauce Cake


My grandad lived in New York City, but on occasion he would come visit us in Virginia. When he did, my Mom always made this cake...it was his favorite.

Early in the month I harvested some Gravenstein apples from our tree. For some reason there aren't many this year but the ones on the tree are really large, so five of them made a good sized pot of applesauce. I did peel them (which I don't usually do) so the applesauce was a bit chunky, but not chewy. I seasoned it with cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar. It was delicious all by itself, but also great for making this seasonal cake.

The recipe calls for a Bundt cake pan, but I decided to bake the batter in two loaf pans. That way I would have a cake to share with our neighbors across the street and one house down. They are a younger couple with two lovely daughters and are really kind. Chris has been keeping the bank of grass and weeds along the road trimmed all summer so it seemed like a good idea to surprise him with some cake.

This cake does call for vegetable shortening...like Crisco. I had some in the fridge, so that's what I used, but you can also use room temperature butter. Just be sure to beat it until light before adding the sugar to it, and them beat some more with the sugar. This makes a moist, tender cake with a lovely apple and cinnamon flavor. Bake it in the Bundt cake pan and you will have dessert for a crowd! 



Applesauce Cake

Makes 1 Bundt cake
Recipe from Nancy, my Mom

3 cups flour
1 ½ teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten lightly
1 ½ cup applesauce
1 cup raisins
1 cup nuts - chopped (walnuts are good)


Sift flour with soda, salt and spices. Set aside.

Cream shortening and add sugar gradually; cream until light. Add beaten eggs and beat to combine.

Add flour mixture alternately with the applesauce, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

Fold in the raisins and nuts. Turn batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.

Bake in Bundt pan in preheated 350 0 F oven for one hour or until done. Toothpick inserted will come out clean or with only a few crumbs stuck to it.

Cool on a rack 10 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack to cool.


No comments :

Post a Comment