Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Buddy Gets Korni

Those rollicking, creative and determined Bread Baking Babes have two new things going this month.


First off they have decided on a posting schedule. As a sometime Buddy I really appreciate that. Now I know when to check for the latest bread challenge (the 16th of each month) and when I have to have baked that bread challenge by...and post about it...to be a BBB Buddy (the 29th of the month). It's great to have so many days to bake, too. Some months the turnaround was a week and sometimes that is too short a span for me. Thank you Tanna!


The second new thing is a delightful bread suggested by Lien of Notitie van Lien called Korni Bread. It has lots of interesting ingredients including a new one for me...soy nuts. The recipe called for cooking and then baking coarsely chopped soy beans but some of the Babes substituted soy nuts, so that's what I did and it worked very well. They added great texture and flavor to the bread. Grains include rye, whole wheat and unbleached white flours and the crunch of millet. Flax seed and caraway seed complete the list and both added flavor and color.

I enjoyed making this bread. You start a sponge the night before and then the next day add more flour, the seeds and soy nuts and millet plus a little more yeast so this doesn't become a heavy bread, although it is still dense and chewy. I weighted the dry ingredients and found that I needed about another 2 tablespoons of water to bring the dough together. It was fun to knead because of the tiny lumps of millet and flax seed and larger chunks of soy nuts.

I made a round loaf and a torpedo shaped one and both look great! We had some with dinner and the flavors were an excellent blend of grains and seeds. I'll bet it will make great toast, too! Will try that tomorrow.

You, too, can bake this wonderful bread (and become a Buddy). The recipe can be found at Lien's blog (thank you Lien for a great choice!) and you still have a few days before the deadline. Let's bake!

6 comments :

  1. Wonderful loaves, so glad you liked them!
    We're happy with the fixed dates too, Hip hip for Tanna!
    Thanks for baking with us, your badge is in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo were you surprised how good it is? I was so delighted.

    Beautiful loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Buddy! Your loaf looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so nice!! I really like the way this bread looks, now to get back into baking and blogging... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for organized Babes! And yay for soy nuts! And yay for your gorgeous bread!!
    Thanks so much for baking with us again this month.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, this was a fun dough, and I loved the little nutty millets!

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete