Sunday, July 03, 2022

On Safari


No, I didn't actually go to Africa, but this past week I did go with Sweetie and our grandson to a local nature preserve, Safari West.

The experience is so different than going to a zoo. The animals have acres to roam in but are safe as well due to many fences. The staff tend to them at least twice a day, which is especially needed now. We are in the third year of a severe drought so their natural food supply is constantly supplemented as needed.


We got around, veeerrryyy sloooowly, in a old vehicle that had been outfitted with three long seats behind the driver, plus another one on top of the canvas roof...supported by sturdy metal pipes. The seats are stair-stepped up so everyone has a good view. We were in the last seat so we were in the shade and as high up as you could be without being on the roof seat. It was 93 degrees, but there was a nice breeze, so it wasn't too hot. I think that part of the reason that we went so slowly was to not disturb the animals more than necessary...plus the vehicles were old.



Turns out that many of the animals have babies in May, so we were able to see the parents and their young. For up close viewing, the giraffe enclosure was probably the best, but Sweetie enjoyed the Cape buffaloes. I enjoyed the antics of the female emus (or ostritches...it was hot)...they just wanted to flirt and be admired. 



Below are some photos of the animals. I confess that I didn't take notes, so I'm not going to identify them. I would probably get it wrong!







I think the last two are an African White Rhino and a zebra that has both black and beige stripes...never seen either of those before.

If you are going to be in the Santa Rosa, CA area (an hour north of San Francisco), do consider visiting this safari park. Their animals and birds are primarily from Africa so that saves you a trip there, in a way. If you want to hear the animal sounds at night, they also rent out tent cabins, plus they offer meals and specials. Their Safari West website has all the deets. 



I have to say that our guide was amazingly informative and probably had volumes more information in her head if we had asked other questions. This place is a class act and well worth a visit!





There were also birds and fish. Below are a black swan, flamingoes, and koi. There were others, but we skipped the final part where we would have seen more birds and some other small animals...I was overheated by then. If you can go in the morning.

1 comment :

  1. I was ***JUST*** suggesting this place as a trip to the niecelet, but her birthday is mid-July and she's as little a fan of heat as I am, so I suspect we'll roll in one September morning and see it. I'm glad it a.) survived the fires and b.) is going strong even through drought. I feel like we all need to grab a little extra beauty and peace in this world, and animals give us that in spades.

    I really do need to get to this place!

    ReplyDelete