Monday, March 05, 2012

A Simple Stir Fry on Beautiful Bamboo

Some days a little forethought means that dinner will be easy. On Saturday I had time in the late afternoon to cut up the veggies for a nice stir fry and we actually had the right kind of ingredients in the fridge. Mushroom slices and chopped yellow onion make a great base. Slender slices of red pepper and carrot go well with chopped celery and florets of broccoli. Sweetie likes to steam them for a couple of minutes in the microwave before adding them to the stir-fry itself.

I like brown rice so I started some about an hour before dinner time. Sweetie likes small pieces of pork chop with this mixture of veggies. I found some Soy Vay sesame seed laced teriyaki sauce to add at the end for seasoning. It really was easy and tasty, too.

Before my bouts with cold, flu and hay fever I received a lovely box from Sarah Bentley at Restaurantware.com which contained earth friendly serving pieces to try. My creativity seems to have deserted me along with my health so I've not found too many things to serve in the cute server ware. There is a darling tiny fry pan and a variety of small skewers which are much nicer than toothpicks. One small bowl is made from bamboo and so is a small plate and the other two are recycled plastic and there are two cups as well and a couple of silver toned spoons. I know that I'll be posting dishes soon that make use of some of these and I appreciate the opportunity to try them.

I served the stir fry on the largest piece, a molded bamboo leaf squared off plate. It is really beautiful with natural bamboo marking and golden color and a nice touch of dark brown on the reverse. It is very lightweight and sturdy and feels nice in the hand. I think it is supposed to be single use but I washed it gently so that I can use it again for another dish...and post. If this sounds like something you might like, do check out their web site at plastic plates or http://www.restaurantware.com/. If you are going to have a party, or love appetizers presented beautifully on biodegradable tableware, you will love the variety and elegance of their selections.


Pork Stir Fry

1 recipe steamed rice
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
4 oz boneless pork chops, cut into bit sized pieces
garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 -1 red bell pepper, cored, seeds discarded and cut in thin slices
2 medium carrots, cleaned and cut into matchsticks
1 small head broccoli, divided into florets
1 stalk celery, chopped or sliced
2-3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce or soy sauce

In a large non-stick skillet or wok sauté the mushrooms and onion until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet or wok and set aside.

Wipe out the skillet or wok with a paper towel. Add the rest of the oil and heat it. Season the pork pieces with garlic salt and pepper if desired. Stir-fry the pork until edges are golden brown.

While pork is cooking, steam the bell pepper, carrots, broccoli, and celery in the microwave for 2 minutes at 70% power. Drain.

Add the steamed veggies to the pork when it is cooked. Add 2 -3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce (optional) or soy sauce. Toss with pork and vegetables and cook 1 minute.

Serve the stir-fry over a bed of the steamed rice. Serve at once.

Serves 4

1 comment :

  1. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Looks Great. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing... my family things that I am a gourmet chef thanks to Feeding My Enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete