Friday, May 11, 2007

Little Red Rubies


What do you do when you have bought some roadside cherries that aren't very good? They weren't very expensive, so I guess I got what I paid for, but that doesn't really help. They look good, like little red rubies, all shiny skin and green stems. And they taste like cherries, but in a half-hearted way, as if someone sucked some of the flavor out of them.


After eating a few out of hand, I decided that a cherry clafouti might salvage these puppies. Since I'm attempting to do a better job of healthy cooking, I tried a recipe in the book 'Weight Watchers Entertains'. I made individual servings and used a blender instead of an electric mixer. That, or the fact that I may have cooked them a little too long (I was distracted by watering my garden), may explain why this clafouti was more like a dutch baby pancake with cherries. Could be that I really did need to marinate the cherries in kirsch or use rum instead of almond extract. Could have been that the batter decided to keep the cherries company by being sort of tasteless. Next time I'll follow the recipe (maybe). One thing I will do is add some lemon zest to liven things up a bit. That said, I still managed to polish off my portion. A dollop of half and half helped the flavor if not the calorie count.


Cherry Clafouti

Serves 6


4 cups pitted fresh sour cherries

2 tablespoons kirsch

3 large eggs

6 tablespoons sugar

1 - 3/4 cups fat-free milk

1 tablespoon dark rum

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

1- 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Confectioners sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.

Marinate the cherries & kirsch in a bowl at room temperture for at least 5 minutes or up to 1 hour.

With an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until foamy. Mix in the milk, rum, vanilla, and salt. With the mixer at low speed, stir in the flour until all the flour is just moistened.

Spread one-third of the batter in the baking dish. Scatter the cherries evenly over the batter. Spread the remaining batter over the cherries, covering them evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.


Per serving (1/6 of clafouti): 180 Cal., 6 g Fat, 4 g Sat Fat, 32 mg Chol., 142 mg Sodium, 40 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 2 g Protien, 42 mg Calcium. Points:4

8 comments :

  1. Whether or not you got all the flavor, the photo sure makes it look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm sorry it was a bit bland, but it sure does not lack in appearance! It's yummy looking! I also like how you made them in individual servings- I truly need to start doing that.. might help with my problem of being surprised when I've ate half the pan, eh? lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:27 AM

    I guess WW would frown on a big old scoop of ice cream on top? Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, thanks! Got lucky with those cherries.

    Lis, truthfully this was a little more than an individual serving, but if it had been more, indeed, I would have eaten half the pan :)

    Sandi, who cares? Bring on that ice cream! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My suggestion...eat good everywhere else and splurge on dessert. I am anti the whole low fat dessert movement :) and I have the thighs to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle, I think it looks delicious - I'd go for the zest anyway, being a lemon fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried this kind of dessert before. This is a great idea of what to do with cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peabody, my thighs agree. After this recipe I'm going with your philosophy.

    Patricia, yeah, lemon is so wonderful anytime.

    Cheryl, it's a classic and usually a fine combination with the cherries.

    ReplyDelete