Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Spring is a Good Time to Mingle


My hands smell of lemon and I love it. I just finished zesting some lemon zest, thin yellow slivers floating down onto creamy yogurt. That can happen easily during the rest of the year, but what makes this memorable is that under the lemon zest and the tangy plain yogurt (well, I did mix a little honey into it) is a big fat bowl of fresh, regional strawberries, just bursting with spring flavor. The yogurt itself is a great ingredient to complement the berries, but the lemon zest takes it to another level. Mmmm.


These strawberries come from Watsonville, a couple of hours drive south of here. They are red all the way through, not white shouldered. They are juicy and fragrant and sweet without sugar. I bought a big container of them today. Bet they are all gone within a couple of days. Maybe even a few hours the way I've been snacking on them by themselves.


Meeta of What's For Lunch Honey is hosting a Monthly Mingle with the theme of Spring is in the Air. Think I'm going to bring this strawberry dish to the Mingle. Since the true strawberry season is fleeting, and this dish lets the strawberries shine through, I think it might be the ultimate spring dish.

7 comments :

  1. Those strawberries look so appetizing! Great spring dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberries are Spring. Strawberries, yogurt, honey and lemon zest - simple is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when my hands smell like lemon zest too!
    Looks like a yummy dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helene, Thanks...love strawberries.

    Tanna, yaaa for Spring.

    Peabody, Thanks...mmm lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW! Elle! That does look incredibly springy! Such a perfect combination of lovely aromas. Have you got a spoon for me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:39 AM

    I LOVE this time of year...all the citrus, veggies and fresh strawberries. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meeta, There's an extra serving for you in my fridge.

    kristen, Yes, spring foods are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete