Tuesday, November 04, 2014

The Sweeter Side of Squash



It's entirely possible that I have one or more pumpkin pie recipes on this blog, but I have to post about the pie I made last Monday. Sweetie loves pies much more than cake. When he mentioned that on Sunday, I asked what kind was his favorite. He said that any pie was good pie, so I made a traditional pumpkin pie. The only thing unusual was that I used a 10-inch pie pan for it and I used a butter based crust instead of refrigerated crust or a shortening-based one. He claims it was the best pumpkin pie ever made. He might be biased. You can find the crust recipe HERE or on yesterday's post.

Not sure about it being the best, but it was an excellent example of its kind. The crust was flaky and crisp and not only tasted grand, but smelled wonderful. The filling was silky, creamy, not too sweet, and not too rich, but fully pumpkin flavored. I used the ingredients on the back of the Libby solid pack pumpkin for the ingredients, but I changed it a bit. I used brown sugar for the sugar, added nutmeg to the spice mix and cooked it slightly less than the recommended time. My recipe below has the changes. If at all possible, use evaporated milk. It provides a really creamy texture. There seems to be less water in it than in regular milk, so that might be the reason.

This is another one you may want to bookmark for the upcoming holidays. I know I will.


Pumpkin Pie
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
2 large eggs
15 oz pureed pumpkin
12 oz. evaporated milk
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F with the rack in the center of the oven.

In a small bowl mix together the sugar, salt and spices.

In another bowl, whisk the eggs and then whisk in the pumpkin and sugar spice mixture. Gradually add the evaporated milk.

Pour pumpkin mixture into the unbaked pie shell.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes in the preheated 425 degree F oven, then reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake another 35 - 50 minutes. Center should be barely set. Knife inserted in the center will come out almost clean or clean. Don't over bake.


Cool Pie on a cooling rack for 2 hours. Refrigerate then, or serve.

1 comment :

  1. Ooh, that crust looks AMAZING there. And, the insides - yum. I have pumpkin in the freezer I need to pull out and use, but right now I'm on a kabocha kick, and that's the custards and pies I'm making right now. Sweeter, in a way, drier than pumpkin, in my experience (from fresh, anyway) - I really like it.

    ReplyDelete